Tweetsville Update

by Ed on November 4, 2008

Just wanted to post an update as to what was happening with Tweetsville, my iPhone Twitter app.

First, it’s been approved for sale! But I haven’t seen it show up and sadly I don’t have a link to it. Read on for why.

The main reason the app was delayed so long coming out is because I had been been trying to figure out exactly what to do with it. I might be in a situation soon that will actually prevent me from being able to maintain the application, so I wanted to see if I could find a good stewart for my baby. I’ve chosen to hand the application over to Tapulous, maker of Tap Tap Revenge, Twinkle, FriendBook, Fortune and Collage, with whom I have a good working relation.

I think this is going to be great for Tweetsville, as they have better resources at their disposal to help support and grow the application. I also think they have some technology which can help Tweetsville be even better than it is. At the same time, there’s some stuff I did for my app that I believe will benefit Tapulous.

There is no plan to have Twinkle and Tweetsville merge. They are to be separate applications with separate audiences. Twinkle is about locality and the Tapulous network, and Tweetsville is purely a Twitter application.

One of the advantages here for users is that there will be choice. There will ultimately be two versions of Tweetsville. The first will be a paid version currently slated for $3.99. The second will come a few weeks later and will be a free ad-supported version.

I’m confident this will move is the best thing for the Tweetsville app as well as users in the long run. You’ll get more choices and better support than I would have been able to provide on my own. I feel the app is in good hands, as I have a great working relationship with Tapulous (I’m actually doing a little work on Twinkle 1.3 these days too).

So look for it to appear in the App Store on Monday the 10th of November!

Update Actually the date is apparently going to be the 12th.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Dr. Snotpants November 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Awesome! You rock.

scott anguish November 7, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I’m waiting desperately for this app! I’ve tried the some of the others, and hope this will be the go-to version for me.

If only for a good desktop client now other than Twitterific.

Morouxshi November 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I actually think that Twinkle and Tweetsville would really work well together if they did merge. Perhaps as a third product. The main thing I dislike about Twinkle is that it doesn’t force users to have a Twitter account, and when I read about this I immediately thought of dropping Twinkle and just going with Tweetsville. Now that they are both under Tapulous control, a ‘Twinkle enabled’ robust Twitter app like Tweetsville would be awesome I would certainly even pay for that… And the only App I’ve paid for is Things 🙂

scott anguish November 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Dude. You’ve got my money already. Now, how do I send a tweet to everyone, instead of a specific friend! You’re killing here!

@sanguish

Ed November 11, 2008 at 8:59 pm

What do you mean? You just click the compose button in the upper right when on the timeline. Type and click send. It should say “To: The Twitterverse” near the top.

Josh Hofer November 12, 2008 at 5:27 am

I do agree with Morouxshi. Adding a ‘Post to Twinkle’ or ‘Enable Twinkle’ in Tweetsville would be pretty cool. I know I would use that feature. I am a huge fan of what Twinkle does, but I will be checking this out too!

scott anguish November 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm